Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Golden Wors Challenge

So the heat was on for national braai day this year, and I was challenged by an infamous “braai master” (Albert Van Den Berg) to a “braai-athon”, who guaranteed me that he would ‘braai me under the table’.  And who was I to refuse such a challenge?
The clients to whom I am currently consulting to opened up their gorgeous home for the challenge, fully stocked with enough booze, snacks and top quality meat and wors to feed a small Ethiopian army and invited a few friends around to help judge who would be taking home the golden wors. 
Beers were already flowing by just after mid-day, in true South African style, so you can just imagine how the afternoon ended (or should I say late evening!).  The meat was separated into two containers, so that we could marinate the beef fillet with our own secret recipes.  The fact that Albert had his meat marinating from the early morning already gave him a slight advantage, but I that didn’t perturb me in the slightest, as you don’t actually need to marinate beef fillet.  Alas, I very quickly whipped up a marinade anyway from what I could find in the dry store to ensure that the meat was melt-in-the mouth and had just that little extra bit of flavour.  The beef fillet that we had was already portioned by the butcher, and far too thinly if you ask me – another reason for the marinade.  (If you are using a tougher cut of meat, such as sirloin, its best to marinade it for a few hours in the fridge, using a mixture of acidic ingredients such as vinegar, lemon juice or wine, as well what ever flavours you want to infuse – garlic, fresh herbs etc.)

I was at the Bryanston Organic & Natural Market earlier in the week, were I managed to get my hands on some Toulouse sausage (a great French sausage made from pork, smoked bacon, garlic & white wine), some great local cheeses and a selection of preserves from Wyckedd.  With Albert up first demonstrating his tricks of the braai trade, I put together two salads and a delicious gorgonzola garlic bread.  I used the Toulouse sausage in a salad with butterbeans, fresh rocket, spring onion and feta with loads of parsley and lashings of a quick vinaigrette made from extra virgin olive oil, wholegrain mustard, apple cider vinegar and a dash of honey.  My second salad was a variety of mixed leaves, cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and shavings of drunken pecorino – nice and simple. I must admit that I cheated a little and bought potato salad from Woolies, that I doctored with fresh basil and spring onion – don’t judge me!

We all ate like kings and queens, and to keep everybody’s drunken egos in check, we decided to call it a draw. 
What an amazing day – thank you to Jan Scannell, founder of braai4herritage, for helping to unite a nation around the fire on the 24th of September, and keeping the braai flame alive. 

No comments: