Monday, April 26, 2010

Brandy & Food Pairing insert for All Access

When I was asked by Homebrew Films to do an insert on All Access for the Brandy Festival (www.brandyfestival.co.za) alongside Jenny Morris, I almost s#@t myself in excitement. Not just because I love All Access, but mainly because I LOVE Jenny Morris. Her approach to food and her witty personality are so encouraging... just makes me want to cook in the nude! Now I know that sounds weird, and probably illegal if your serving paying guests, but Jenny just has that effect on you (I hope her husband doesn’t read this).
At one stage during the shoot, while she was preparing her delicious pork fillet on pears with a brandy infused sauce, she stirred the sauce with her finger and proceeded to stick it in Mark Bayly’s mouth for a taste. Mark didn’t really have a choice in the matter and was a bit taken back, but he got over it pretty quickly and sucked every last drop of that gorgeous sauce off of Jenny’s finger. Everyone on set had a good chuckle!
Jenny was given the Joseph Barry 10 Year Pot Still Brandy to play with, which won best brandy in the world, which is quite a feather in South Africa’s cap!
I was given the new trendy Collison’s White Gold Brandy, which after quite a bit of sampling, I decided to rather enhance the underlying characteristics of fig, hazelnut and vanilla than to pair it with food - a dessert was the obvious choice. I made a very simple but incredibly delicious fig tart made with fresh Mediterranean figs, hazelnut pastry and a vanilla pod and white brandy custard.
To find out how to make either one of these recipes, you will have to either watch All Access or email me and I’ll gladly send them to you!

No comments: