Monday, April 26, 2010

Private Cheffing

Being a private chef, as with most jobs, has its pro’s and con’s. Most of my clients insist that a confidentiality agreement is signed, which prevents me from being able to divulge any information about them, which is fair enough I suppose. This just means that I can’t gloat about who I’ve worked for, where I worked for them and how demanding they were....

Saying this, I LOVE PRIVATE CHEFFING! It gives me the opportunity to seriously play in the kitchen and create dishes that I would not necessarily make for myself. A good veal stock takes forever to make, and to be honest, I couldn’t be assed to spend the entire day making a stock to go with my scrambled egg on toast. With my high caliber clients how ever, I seriously make an effort. Most of them are extremely well travelled and dine at restaurants that I can only visit via my computer, so their educated palates need to be challenged. This is when Im in my element - spending the whole day in a fully equipped kitchen creating dishes that will hopefully blow my clients away (not literally of course).

Another pro to private cheffing is getting to see some of Cape Town’s most prestiges and expensive properties. I have cooked in South Africa’s most expensive private real estate (no, I can’t tell you where), mansions in Constantia and Bishops Court, hotels and guest houses across the peninsula, bungalow's worth millions right on Clifton beach and quaint little farms in the Karoo.

No comments: